Monday, January 28, 2013

A Mighty Accomplishment


I am so excited and proud to finally be able to share what I've dedicated a good portion of my life to in 2012. 500 Fun Little Toys is my very first craft book, and I'm officially an author! 

I learned to sew from my mom, and watched my dad develop photographs in his darkroom, at a young age. My curiosity for learning new techniques and love of creating never ceased. My current work is mainly fiber jewelry and accessories, and I often like to make toys for baby/kid presents, or just for fun for myself. I also teach needle felt classes at Purl Soho, where we make sweet little felt animals and objects. When I was approached by Quintet Publishing to write a craft book for one of their 500 series books, I was stoked! What's more fun than toy making, I mean really?

Handmade toys are so special, and make really wonderful gifts. They come from the heart, which you can always tell. This little book is filled with knit, crochet, needle felt, and sewn toy patterns. It includes ideas for variations on those projects, making it 500 toys. Some projects even combine techniques. This book coves baby/toddler toys, soft animals, play food, everyday objects, make believe, dolls, and games & fitness toys. It even includes a refresher section for knitting, crocheting, needle felting, and sewing if you're a bit rusty. I had a great time coming up with these projects, and my studio often looked like a toy factory! I'll share the process pictures and a free pattern or two in upcoming posts.

Quintet did such a beautiful job with the layout and photography - I couldn't be happier with it. The toys are so adorably styled! The US edition is distributed by Sellers Publishing, and I'm so happy to be working with them too!

My book comes out in February, and here's a sneak peek of some of the fun projects inside. It's available for pre-order in my Etsy shop and on Amazon, so please stop on by to reserve your copy or just like the book. I hope you love it as much as I do!


Sellers Publishing, US edition & New Burlington Books, UK edition

15 comments:

Metalicious said...

Great work, I can't wait to buy your book!

Rosirouge said...

I love the fabric house! Congratulations Nguyen!!!!

Elena Rosenberg Wearable Fiber Art said...

That's some HUGE news, congratulations!! Here's to the book becoming a bestseller! Very happy for you, way to go!

KNIT KNIT said...

Thank so much ladies!! Everyone's excitement and support means so much to me. I can't believe it's finally here! (well, almost - March!)

Michelle said...

So awesome!! Congrats!

Lora Reehling Photography said...

Congratulations lady! What an accomplishment indeed! SO COOL! :)

Lora Reehling Photography said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Torie Jayne said...

Congratulations! Looks like a lovely book full of cute ideas!
Have a sweet Sunday!

Marilyn (Pulp Sushi) said...

Congratulations Nguyen!!! This is so exciting!!!

Aneta Hayne said...

Congrats Nguyen :) I know a bunch of little crafty girls that would love those super cute books for some crafty inspirations !Beautiful work !

Lu said...

Nguyen, what fabulous news! Congratulations!

lostsentiments said...

You are so multi talented lady! :) congratulations on the book! :) how fun! :)

a Studio by the Sea said...

So adorable! Must have!

miniaturerhino said...

Congrats!!!! I know you worked so hard, be proud. Can't wait to get my own copy...

Nguyen Le said...

Thank you, thank you, for all the lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...